I was reading a story I wrote a few years ago and wanted to share it with you. Although the setting was for leadership teams, I believe everyone is a leader in one way or another. A mom leads her children, a dad leads in his job. A woman leads by the example she sets for her neighbors, a young adult leads by holding back words they think but don’t say. In life, you are either a leader or a follower. Let me encourage you to be both. Enjoy this story today and be thinking about what areas of your life you are a leader. -Jennifer
I read an article on Leadership Freak by Dan Rockwell the other day talking about growth. Here is what it said, “Growth isn’t an accident. We grow on purpose or not at all. You’re stuck if you can’t identify the leadership behavior you’re developing today. If you can’t describe it, it isn’t happening.”
I think of how many times in my day and week I am just making it through. I am not aiming to grow, develop or invest in myself. Dan’s words ring true to me today. If I am not intentional about growth, it won’t happen. It is a simple concept and yet difficult to do at times. It is much easier to lead and develop others than it is yourself. I can think of several areas of my life right now that could use some tlc. How about you? Are you growing in your leadership or just leading others?
Here are a few of my personal favorite ways to invest in my own leadership:
- Figure out who your favorite authors are on leadership and read.
- Follow a blog or two on leadership.
- Attend a local leadership conference.
- Take advantage of any church conferences on leadership in your area.
- Seek out a mentor to meet with periodically who can be honest with you and give input into your leadership.
- Spend time with your closest circle of friends. Getting to know them and learning from them is a great way to grow your leadership. Let your friends push you and challenge you in new ways to grow.
I am sure there are many more ways but these are just a few to get your mind thinking. You are a mighty force as is, but can you imagine all God could do if you continue to grow our leadership skills? Praying for you today as you lead others and take time to invest in your own leadership.
Living day to day-